Reasons to Give
The Madison Area YMCA is a key resource available to everyone in Madison and its surrounding communities. Our main goal is to play an important supportive role in the lives and well-being of those we serve, and we have done so for almost 140 years.
We believe that our success stems from being:
- FOCUSED – Our priorities are facilitating positive child development, encouraging healthy individual and family lifestyles, and promoting community responsibility.
- EXPERTS – We are skilled at understanding the needs of our members and participants, and in designing high-quality programming to meet those needs.
- A WELCOMING ORGANIZATION – The Y is open and affordable to all.
- COMMUNITY-BASED – We provide programs and services when and where they are needed, using our facilities as well as collaborating with local organizations.
- BUDGET-MINDED AND GROWTH ORIENTED – We operate the Y prudently to ensure long-term financial stability and optimum use of all donations.
In 2012 we successfully raised more than $652,000 from 911 donors in our community. All of this financial support is being used to help hundreds of children, adults, families and teens in the following ways:
- Families of 48 children received assistance to help cover the cost of their child care, early childhood education and after school care at the F.M. Kirby Children’s Center.
- 473 subsidized memberships allowed children, teens, adults and seniors to participate in regular fitness and wellness programs at our YMCA Family Center.
- 205 weeks of Summer Camp were subsidized, allowing children a happy and wholesome summer.
- Hundreds of seventh-grade students throughout our service area are receiving free Family Center After School Memberships to participate in wellness and fitness programming designed to prevent childhood obesity.
- Volunteers also led our annual golf event in June 2013, which gathered 124 golfers, Ladies Clinic participants, and dozens of guests to help raise funds to send children to YMCA summer day camp.
- The event raised more than $151,000 all of which is being used to provide financial assistance to children who could not otherwise afford the cost of participating in camp.
- In partnership with the Forum Club of Madison, we engaged 100 community partners and supporters to participate in the YMCA’s Annual Charity Bocce Invitational in September and October, which raised awareness of the Y’s philanthropic cause across our community.
- The $12,000 raised through the Tournament was used to provide financial assistance to low-income working families who need quality after-school care for their children.