Camp Counselor - SummerQuest
DON'T WAIT TO GET YOUR SUMMER JOB - APPLY NOW!
Camp SummerQuest Counselors provide direct supervision of campers at Camp SummerQuest, a co-ed daily travel and specialty camp for youth entering 6-10th grade.
- Provide positive supervision of SummerQuest participants.
- Facilitate a safe and fun program environment.
- Respond to emergencies appropriately.
- Follow schedules and be on time.
- Provide guidance and discipline to SummerQuest participants.
- Keep program equipment clean and organized.
- Assist the Camp SummerQuest Lead Counselor in creating and implementing impromptu activities.
- Lead games and activities during trips for SummerQuest participants, including hikes, high adventure and camping.
- Lead games and activities for SummerQuest Specialty Camp participants.
- Report areas of concern to Camp SummerQuest Coordinator.
- Adhere to all safety protocols as outlined in YMCA and Camp policies
- Minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent and one season of experience working with youth in a camp setting. YMCA experience preferred.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Attend 40 hours of training as outlined in training schedule and obtain CPR, First Aid and AED certifications which will be provided through the Madison Area YMCA.
- Must be available beginning June 14, 2021.
- Camp staff can take up to one week (5 days) of unpaid vacation days and this request must be approved in writing by director prior to the start of camp.
- Maintain certifications or become certified in CPR, First Aid and AED, and Lifeguarding.
- Willingness to participate in high adventure activities, if needed.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions including heat in excess of 90F and high humidity.
- Ability to wear a face covering on an as needed basis based on guidelines from the Center for Disease Control and Department of Health.
- Ability to be in water/pool for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to sleep outdoors in a tent on hard ground.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, walking and hiking on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Comfortable administering first aid and exposure to bodily fluids and communicable diseases is possible.