Diabetes Prevention Program Lifestyle Coach
Under the direction of the Program Coordinator, the Lifestyle Coach is responsible for providing support and guidance to participants in the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program and implement standard curriculum designed for the program.
Must be committed to and be supportive of the YMCA mission with an emphasis on support to health seekers. Must have strong communication and relationship building skills, the ability build community within a group, and have empathy for health seekers. Must be flexible to work with a wide variety of people, attend well to details and be comfortable with computers and data management. Knowledge of basic health, nutrition, and fitness and behavior change is encouraged.
- Deliver curriculum to class participants in effective, meaningful and compelling ways.
- Prepare before each class (i.e. review participants’ food and activity trackers, lesson plan, content for class, reminder call to participants).
- Provide accessibility to participants before and after sessions to answer questions and follow-up on any questions that cannot be answered during class time.
- Encourage group participation and interaction through the use of open-ended questions.
- Facilitate commitment and retention of participants.
- Create a motivating environment that is friendly and non-competitive.
- Foster relationships with and between participants.
- Make learning a shared responsibility for the group.
- Support and encourage goal setting on a weekly basis.
- Follow-up with participants if they are unable to attend a session.Provide a make-up session opportunity as per the protocol of the program.
- Record all data for each participant (attendance, body weight, physical activity). Enter data electronically within 24 hours of the class.
- Participate in all Lifestyle Coach team discussions (meetings, emails or conference calls). Offer ideas and tools for facilitation to the coach team and remain engaged with the team at all times.
- Arrive for class on time and dressed appropriately.
- Attend Program Trainings prior to class start.
- Attend HIPAA Training annually.
Flexible schedule for classes - daytime and evening availability