Camp Counselor - Leaders in Training (LIT)
DON'T WAIT TO GET A SUMMER JOB - APPLY NOW!
The LIT Counselor provides direct supervision of campers and facilitates the execution of lesson plans in the Leader in Training program, a co-ed leadership development program for grades 9-11.
- Provide positive supervision of LIT participants.
- Facilitate a safe and fun program environment.
- Respond to emergencies appropriately.
- Lead activities and games via the curriculum for LIT participants, including impromptu activities.
- Facilitate appropriate leadership and volunteer opportunities for LIT participants.
- Follow schedules and be on time.
- Provide guidance and redirection to LIT participants.
- Keep program equipment clean and organized.
- Report areas of concern to Camp KidsQuest Coordinator.
- Minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent and two seasons of experience working with youth in a camp setting. YMCA experience preferred.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Attend 40 hours of training as outlined in training schedule and obtain CPR, First Aid and AED certifications which will be provided through the Madison Area YMCA.
- Must be available beginning June 15th, 2020.
- Camp staff can take up to one week (5 days) of unpaid vacation days and this request must be approved in writing by director prior to the start of camp.
- Maintain certifications or become certified in CPR, First Aid and AED, and Lifeguarding.
- Willingness to participate in high adventure activities, if needed.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions including heat in excess of 90F and high humidity.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, walking and hiking on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Comfortable administering first aid and exposure to bodily fluids and communicable diseases is possible.