Under the direction of the Associate Aquatic Director, the Pool Supervisor assists in the supervision of lifeguards and pool operations. The Pool Supervisor will ensure a clean, well maintained and safe facility while building and sustaining strong relationships with members, cultivating interest and participation in the annual campaign and generating interest in the Aquatics programs offered at the Madison Area YMCA. The position will require weekend, early morning and/or late evening hours to help supervise the Aquatic staff during all open pool hours.
- Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, on the deck, and surrounding areas.
- Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Addresses member concerns, directs members to program areas or lane needs while maintaining effective, positive relationships with members, participants and other staff.
- Oversees management of lifeguard on duty.
- Supports overall Aquatics team.
- Serves as deck supervisor during lap swim.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing, maintains accurate pool testing records and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
- Maintains a professional attitude and appearance, wearing the proper uniform/equipment for each shift.
- Possess emotional resiliency and cognitive abilities to carry out job responsibilities, ability to establish and maintain appropriate professional relationships, interpersonal skills to interact effectively with individuals and groups respecting social and cultural diversity and to maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Directs patrons to correct locker room
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Have a minimum of 3 years’ lifeguarding experience
- An acceptable level of physical fitness to perform in pool activities, rescues and survival skills
- Hold a current YMCA Lifeguard Certification and/or hold a Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
- Hold current Professional Rescuer CPR, First Aid, Oxygen Administration and Automated External Defibrillator Certifications
- High School Graduate (or equivalent) preferred
- Be dependable and reliable
- Must be able to work nights and weekends